I'm going to do this as a series of bullet points:
- I didn't want him. I wanted the horse I had been watching online for months. The big bay four year old Sport horse out of Padron's Psyche, not this scrawny, starved, filthy seven year old grey thing.
- J told me we had to take him.
- J told me he wasn't damaged mentally.
- J saw him whole.
- He had decent feet with no quarter cracks or ringbone.
- He was 15.1 hands high, although everyone who saw him talked of him as a little thing.
- Even mostly starved to death, he trotted across the corral with his tail up when he thought there was the possibility of food.
- I knew that if I didn't take him, he would die.
- I knew that if I didn't intervene and get him food before we picked him up, he would likely starve to death before I could move him.
- I knew that I couldn't ship him, so had to reach out to a friend and ask for help moving him.
- Even in the condition I found him in, he was friendly, curious, inquisitive, and playful.
- I think he recognized that we were going to save him when we returned the next day.
- Very good ground manners
So, although our story is mostly a love story, it is also the story of rescue and redemption. It is the story of two creatures brought together by fate, who through patience, hard work, learning and spending lots of time together, have created something greater than the sum of their parts. He is the horse of my heart, the brother of my soul, and the other half of my being.