Decisions have been made:
No endurance ride this year. I may shoot for three rides next year or I might just enjoy trail riding and horse camping with my family and skip the endurance rides all together. Endurance has been off the list for a couple of years based on Ashke's limitations, and it wasn't even a consideration until Diane told me she thought he could do a 25 mile ride. I do want to ride at Vedauwoo, but I don't want to experience an overnight with my horse for the first time amongst a group of horses we don't know. I also need to work on rating him without his front feet leaving the ground. I don't want him anxious. I want him relaxed.
Part of the reason for this decision (along with the above list) is the fact that I can do a one-day clinic with Mark Rashid the end of August. The cost of the clinic (one hour one on one, plus watching the other riders the rest of the day) is the same cost as the endurance ride. This is a no brainer for me. I adore Mark and would LOVE to be able to listen and learn and apply all of his training and philosophy to my relationship with Ashke. So, I am sending my deposit in for the clinic and skipping the endurance ride.
The other thing I am doing is an afternoon WE obstacle practice in Fort Collins with Allison on August 9th from noon to 4 pm. And then I am going to show at the RMIHC in Working Equitation Level 2. This is a three phase show with the dressage test on Friday and the EOH and Speed test on Saturday. I need to practice the two barrel obstacle at a canter and the garoucha pole at a canter. The other thing I am worried about is the dressage test.
August and the first part of September are going to be WE busy.