Actually both. Queenie, my appy mare, had a roman nose and was a great horse. Ashke has an extreme dish and I love it. So, I like both a lot. My deepest preference is for a dishy face because to my eye it is more refined.
2. Mares or Geldings? Why?
I loved having a mare. I am thankful I own a gelding, however, because I know I would be tempted to breed the mare and have babies. There is nothing better than a foal. EVAH. And geldings are less hormonal than mares, so that makes them overall easier.
3. Do you think warmbloods are over-rated?
I think warmbloods excel at what they are bred for - which is jumping and dressage.
4. Describe your dream horse.
He is 15.1 hands high, fleabitten grey, with soft, intelligent eyes and a nicker at me when I arrive. He might not have been the horse I would have chosen, but he is my dream horse.
5. What kind of bit do you use and why?
I use the Rockin' S Raised Snaffle bit endorsed by Mark Rashid, 4.5" wide. It is narrow and designed for a horse's mouth that is shallow (low pallet). From the website:
The Rocking S Raised snaffle operates in a completely opposite manner inside the horse’s mouth. As mentioned earlier, the three-piece mouthpiece, is ported. It also lies back in the horse’s mouth, toward the molars, instead of forward, toward the horse’s front teeth. In addition the mouthpiece lies relatively flat on the tongue. With this design, instead of the bit closing down and acting like a nutcracker when pressure is applied to the reins, the mouthpiece actually opens up in the horse’s mouth relieving pressure on the inside. It seems to be this part of the design that is popular with the horse’s we’ve tried it on. The vast majority of horses we’ve tried the bit on are immediately softer, quieter and more willing. Another benefit we’ve noticed is this allows the softness in the rider to come out as well.
6. Stock horses or sport horses?
I don't even know what that means . . .
7. Favorite horse color?
What is it that Mark Rashid says, a good horse is never a bad color?
I love grey's with dapples, dark bay, bright bay, red dun with dorsal stripe, mouse dun with dorsal stripe and leg stripes, old-style appaloosas, and I've really fallen in love with the grey Arabs with dark red or grey manes and tails.
8. Least favorite horse color?
Just plain brown.
9. Dressage or Jumping?
Trail riding. I will never jump and dressage really doesn't appeal to me, even if I can see the value in some of the discipline.
10. Favorite stock horse breed?
11. Favorite Hot-blooded breed?
12. Favorite cold-blooded breed?
Black Shire with white feathers
13. Dapple grey or Fleabitten grey?
14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
15. When did you start riding?
At about the age of four. Spent all of my free time between the ages of 8 and 18 on the back of a horse.
16. Leather or Nylon halters?
I like nylon because of 1) price, and 2) color choice (although J won't let me buy a new one. )
17. Apples or Carrots?
Carrots by far. Not real excited about apples
18. Chestnut or bay?
19. Palomino or Buckskin?
Buckskin or as we call them in the west - mouse dun with dorsal stripe
20. Lazy horse or Hot horse?
Hot is always better and more fun.
21. Have you ever been trail riding?
It's all I really want to do.
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
I've had two horses die on me, one from a misdiagnosed twisted intestine (we would have had him put down if I had known, but I was 15 at the time and had no idea.) And the second one from genetic defect the same year.
23. How many saddlepads do you have?
One. I had worked my way through four, however.
24. How many bridles do you have?
25. Favorite saddle brand?
I don't know if I have a favorite saddle brand. I do know that I really like the Trekkerland by Prestige I am currently riding in.
26. Beige or White Breeches?
I have no idea why you would want to wear either color. I assume this is a show thing. My breeches, which I moved into after being seriously rubbed raw by my levis, are dark blue.
27. Least favorite discipline?
28. Do you own a horse?
I am owned by Ashke. I am a proper servant and pick up the cost for room, board, treats, etc.
29. Do you collect breyer horses?
I did when I was a kid. Wish I still had them.
30. Favorite color of saddle pad?
31. Private barn or Boarding stable?
I have no idea what the difference in these two are. I would assume I am in a boarding stable - they do feeding, cleaning, repair and have four trainers on site.
32. Opinion on spoiled riders?
What is a spoiled rider? I would guess that all of the people at the barn I am at have horses because they love them. There aren't a bunch of kids there, mostly it's older riders who are in the same place I am - working to ride, because they've had horses in the past or they've always wanted a horse. They do it out of love and admiration for the horse.
33. Have you ever ridden tackless?
I spent my childhood riding without a saddle or pad. There were times when I rode with just a rope around my horse's neck.
34. Have you ever stood up on a horse?
Yep. Not so much any more.
35. Overo, Tobiano, or Tovero?
36. Favorite face markings(s)?
Long forelock. Some kind of white on the face.
37. Why you started riding?
Because I could. It was what I was born to do.
38. Does anyone in your family ride?
My mother used to and my youngest brother started riding at three. I am the only one still riding.
39. Have you ever owned a horse?
At one point I owned six.
40. Something you want to improve on?
Communication in the saddle with Ashke
41. A bad habit you have?
I like to start conversations with someone just as they are leaving the room.
42. A bad habit your horse has?
Nipping. Although he has gotten better.
43. How high have you jumped?
I can get, maybe six inches off the ground, but I don't ever try because it would have bad consequences.
44. Have you ever had a dressage lesson?
45. What really makes your horse spook?
Bunnies and birds
46. Trail riding or ring work?
Trail riding all the time!
47. Indoor or Outdoor arena?
Indoor during the winter, no arena whenever I can.
48. Colorful or plain saddle pads?
49. Do you like horses with blue eyes?
Queenie had a blue eye. I loved it.
50. Have you ever gotten into a fight with your trainer?
Never had a trainer
51. Light bay or Dark bay horses?
52. What is your equestrian dream?
To ride in the Kentucky Derby. (That was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
53. Long mane or Pulled mane?
Long mane, although his looks like a pulled mane right now.
I don't understand the question.
55. Least favorite thing about your barn?
It's too far away from my house. I am so jealous of N, because she can see Cali from all of her windows.
56. Favorite thing about your barn?
The indoor arena and the access to trails. And the Mesa.
57. Have you ever ridden a stallion?
Yep. And also helped with handling for a show in Southern California. Not that I would keep one, mind you.
58. Socks or no socks on a horse?
59. Favorite horse names?
I like Thee Ashke. And Cali's name fits her. Other than that, I don't have an opinion.
60. If you could ride any horse in the world, which one would it be? Why?
Secretariat in the Belmont. It was my deepest dream to be a jockey, which lasted until my sixteenth year when I grew nine inches in less than three months and outgrew the ability to jockey.